- ALREADY SUBSCRIBED?
SUBSCRIBE NOW TO SUPPORT BONJOUR PARIS
Support us and get full, unlimited access to all our content for a year for just 60 USD.
Please enter your details below to gain full, unlimited access to Bonjour Paris.
December 2011 Events in Paris
ASSORTED PARIS EVENTS
Christmas Markets in Paris
Christmas markets abound in Paris, and are located throughout the city: avenue des Champs-Elysées, Place Saint Sulpice, boulevard St. Germain, Place d’Italie, La Défense and Place de la Nation.
Ice Skating Rinks at Hôtel de Ville and Tour Montparnasse
12:00-10:00pm Mondays through Fridays and 9am-10pm Saturdays and Sundays (rental skates available).
Le festival des meilleurs vins-Le Grand Tasting (Wine Tasting)
2, 3 Wine tastings, workshops & music with over 100 châteaux pouring their best wines at the Carrousel du Louvre. Grab a glass and have a little patience as this event sees over 20,000 visitors in the two days it is held.
Gucci Masters International Horse Jumping Competition, part of Salon du Cheval de Paris
2-4 International horse jumping competition.
3-11 Prestigious international equestrian competitions, including the Gucci Masters (above) and the World Arabian Horse Championship.
3 3:30pm start Join hundreds of women in high heels at the foot of the Eiffel Tower and participate in this relay telethon.
High Fashion and Tea at the Hotel Bristol Thés à la Mode
3 Enjoy an elegant tea and fashion event.
3-11 Porte de Versailles transforms to a nautical dream for this fantastic show that draws over 250,000 visitors annually. Ongoing exhibits, demonstrations, and events including a stand-up paddleboarding race on the Seine on Sunday, December 4.
4 November– 18 December “Corteo” in an extended performance by Cirque du Soleil
Vignerons en Seine—Winemakers of the Seine (Wine tasting)
10, 11 Head to Bercy for a wine tasting featuring 22 of the finest organic wines in France.
16-18 Join a group that tastes fine wines and foie gras on the Seine on Maxim’s, Port de Suffren below the Eiffel Tower.
29 The best French professional basketball players hit the Bercy courts.
Through 31 December See the nativity recounted on a 100m screen and hear the music come alive. This free exhibit is held within Notre Dame.
Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris Holiday concerts
Galeries Lafayette, 1st floor of Galeries Lafayette Coupole
through January 7 Antidote 7, a graphic art exhibit by artist Jean-Marc Ballée
MUSEUM EXHIBITIONS (ART, FILM, PHOTOGRAPHY & MORE)
- Et Lutèce devint Paris, through February 26
- Napoléon III et L’Italie, through January 15
- Soudain, Déjà, through January 8
- Massimo Berruti, through December 3
- Vernissage de l’Exposition des Lauréats des Prix des Amis 2011, through January 10
- PhotoQuai 2011 through December 4 at satellite exhibit locations
- Samouria, Armure du Guerrier, through January 29
- Antoine Bourdelle / Que du Dessin, through January 29
Carnavalet Museum—Musée Carnavalet
- People of Paris in the 19th Century, through February 26
- Mathematics – A Beautiful Elsewhere, through March 18
- Keith Haring Hieroglyphs, through Dec. 31
- Metropolis, through January 29
- Tous Connectés, through December 31
- Océan, Climat et Nous, through June 30, 2012
- Gaulois: Une Expo Renversante, through September 2012
- L’Art du Costume à la Comédie-Française, through December 31
- Hussein Chalayan, Récits du Mode, through December 11
- Maarten Baas, Curiosities, through February 12
- Stefan Sagmeister (advertising art), through February 19
- Goudemalion, Jean-Paul Goude Retrospective, through March 18
- Homage to Delacroix Fantin-Latour, Manet, Cézanne, through March 19
- L’Age d’Or de la Photographie Albanaise, through January 8
- Fernanda Magalhaes, Rogério Reis, Edu Simoes, through January 8
- Rome + Klein Photographies 1956-1960, through January 8
- Martine Franck, Venus d’Ailleurs, through January 8
- Lewis Hine, through December 18
- no shows
- Des Jouets et des Hommes (Toys and Men), through January 23
- Game Story: A History of the Video Game, through January 10
- Le Cheveux, through August, 2012
- Matisse, Cézanne, Picasso…l’Aventure des Stein, through January 16
- Cinema and the Shoah, through February 20
- Des JO de Berlin aux JO de Londres (1936-1948), through March 18
- Fra Angelico et les Maîtres de la Lumière, through January 16
- Autour du Piano (piano recitals), January 21 through March 19
- Jahnu Adoor, Barua Gopalakrishnan, North East by South West, through January 22
- Diane Arbus, through February 5
- Audrey Cottin: Charlie & Sabrina, through February 5
- Blow Up / Cycle “Side Effects,” through March 15
- Permanent collection on view
- Forbidden City in the Louvre – Emperors of China and Kings of France, through January 9
- Greek, Etruscan and Roman Antiquities, through January 16
- Cézanne et Paris, through February 26
MacVal—Musée d’Art Contemporain du Val-de-Marne
- art films by Danish artist Jesper Jest, through February 5
- Pompéi, through February 12
- Elle Coud, Elle Court, la Grisette, through January 15
- Huit Maîtres de l’Ukiyo-e, through December 17
- Permanent collection
- Georges Rohner et la Guadeloupe (1934-1936), through January 16
- The Wyeths, Three Generations of American Art, through February 12
- Les Chemins de la Déportation, through December 30
National Library of France—Bibliothèque nationale de France (François Mitterand Library)
- Casanova, la passion de la liberté through February 19
- Parcours à la Ménagerie, through December 31
- Invisible, Zoom sur le Plancton, through December 31
- Permanent collection
- L’Espagne Entre Deux Siècles de Zuloaga à Picasso, through January 9
- Beauty, Morals and Voluptuousness in the England of Oscar Wilde, through January 15
- No current exhibition
- The Drawings of Sempé, through February 11
- “The Chic Parisian,” through February 25
- Giacometti et les Étrusques, through January 8
- Edvard Munch, l’oeil Moderne 1900-1944, through January 9
- Des Années 1960 à Nos Jours, through February 13
- Danser sa Vie, opens November 23rd through March 5
- Mémoires du Futur, through January 15
- Paul-Armand Gette, Artémis et ses Nymphes, through December 31
- Capturing the Model, 300 Rodin drawings 1890-1917, through April 1
- La Nouvelle Athènes, permanent exhibition
- Paris Proche et Lointain, Patrick Faigenbaum, February 12
- History of the Paris Métro, through January 1
- Historical refurbishing of royal furniture [Mobilier National] at Château de Versailles, through December 11
- Apartments of the Dauphine and the Dauphin, through December 11
- Closed through February 2012 for maintenance
MUSIC VENUES (POP, ROCK, R&B, JAZZ, CLASSICAL)
Series of intimate recitals and concerts at several locations, including the Jacquemart-André Museum, Salle Gaveau, Salle Cortot, and the Foundation Dosne-Thiers. Please click name for schedule.
16-18 Notre-Dame de Paris—Concert Homage
2 Soirée Classique: Irakly Avaliani, piano; Beethoven, Brahms
1-3 Elisabeth Buffet
4 Medi Christmas Party CANCELLED
8 Carmen Maria Vega
9 Nigel Kennedy et Son Groupe
10 Richard Gotainer
10 Red Bull Mini Drome
12 J Cole
13 K’s Choice en Acoustique
14-30 Audrey Lamy –Derniers Avant Vegas
5,6 Ogres de Barback
12 You and the Night Music
19 Queen Esther Marrow and the Harlem Gospel Singers
20 Michael Gregario
21-30 Dora the Explorer
27 Jerome Commandeur
1-3 Ballet Flamenco—Cristina Hoyos
2 Robin des Bois
12 Appel National Pour la Tsedaka
15 Le Grand Ballet de Cuba
17 Orchestre National de France
20 December —01 January Le Ballet MOÏSSEÏEV
Adam and Eve, opening January 31st
1 Yuga Wang
2, 9, 10, 16 Orchestre Philiharmonique de Radio France
3 Rolando Villazon
4, 7 Cecilia Bartoli
6, 11 Orchestre Colonne
10 Aldo Ciccolini
11 Orchestre National d’Ile de France
13 Les Grandes Figures
14, 15. 21 Orchestre de Paris
17 Orchestre National du Capitole du Toulouse
19 Orchestre Français des Jeunes
20 Norma de Bellini
23 Les Lumières de la Ville
No December concerts
Through December 11th Disney sur Glace
13 Paul Kalkbrenner
15,16 Ben l’Oncle Soul
17 Nolwenn Leroy
21 Merry Christmas Gospel Tour
JAZZ CLUBS & CONCERT VENUES
- 6-10 Chicago Blues Festival
- 31 Gerry Messon and the Creole Caïmans
- 12 Jeff Lorber Fusion
AUTHORS, BOOK-SIGNINGS & LITERARY EVENTS
- 7 Evenings with an Author: Screening of Roth on Roth
No events announced as of publication date
- 5 Three prize-winning poets read: Amina Said, Vénus Khoury-Ghata and Marilyn Hacker
- 7 Margo Berdeshevsky, Between Soul and Stone
- 8 Elena Azzoni, My Year Straight – book signing
- 12 Piers Faccini and Dom Pinto, acoustic concert
- 14 The Cinema Suitcase
- 19 Sure Thing theatre performance, Jacques Lecoq and Lorenza Gentile
- 8 Denis Hirson will read from his latest book, The Dancing and Death on Lemon Street and Worlds in One Country
- No author events scheduled
OPERA, BALLET & THEATRE PERFORMANCES
Opéra Garnier [Palais Garnier]
- La Cenerentola: Conductor Bruno Capmpanella, through December 17
- Onéguine: Choreographer John Cranko, December 9-30
- La Force du Destin – Conductor Philippe Jordan, through December 17
- Cendrillon – Choreographer Rudolf Noureev, through December 30
- Amadis de Gaule – Choreographer Natalie van Parys, December 10 and 12
- Blanche-Neige – Choreographer Angelin Preljocaj, December 16-23
Lisa Buros-Hutchins is the BonjourParis calendar editor and she owns Your Paris Experience, a private travel consultancy offering a wide array of services, from trip itinerary planning and phone consultation to specific itemized services. Please visit Lisa’s website for further information. Your Paris Experience is pleased to offer BonjourParis Premium Members a 10% discount on the public price of all services.
Add an event to the calendar:
To notify us of Paris special events you would like featured in this monthly column, please send an email with your notice, links and photos attached by the 15th of the month prior to the event to: [email protected]. Photos should be low-resolution 72dpi sized at 500 pixels wide to allow cropping.
Would you like to submit a story or request a story topic? Your stories & ideas welcome.
NEW: exclusive content for subscribers in every newsletter. Subscribe for free.
Save 15% on business-class international flights between Paris and New York on OpenSkies, the airline for Smart Flyers, when you subscribe to BonjourParis premium. Hurry, offer ends Dec. 31, 2011.
Subscribe today, save 15% for up to 4 travelers…click here.
Top 100 Readers’ Favorite Amazon.com Items. (Please wait for Amazon.com widget to load)
Lead photo credit : Hotel de Ville ice skating rink at night. Photo: OTCP/ David-Lefranc